Boston Children’s Hospital is dedicated to creating a culture where all patients, families, clinicians, researchers, staff, and communities feel empowered and supported. We are committed to working together to support health equity and promote anti-racist practices. This is not merely an aspirational goal, and in August 2020, we shared our formal Declaration on Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity that will be our guiding compass in making this goal a reality.
We recognize that diversity and cultural competency efforts are complex and require dedicated time, attention, and resources. We have major commitments on all fronts:
- enhancing access to the best health care
- promoting and cultivating a diverse workforce
- instilling a welcoming environment for all
- bolstering respect for cultural differences in the delivery of care
- reducing differences in health outcomes among different racial and ethnic groups
- advancing our community outreach
- developing further student and residency outreach
We will continue to evolve to ensure we provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for all staff and families. Our diversity makes us stronger.
Learn more about our commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
Learn more about our commitment to LGBTQ Equality.
A note from our chief
The Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences joins with Boston Children’s Hospital and its Office of Health Equity and Inclusion to firmly and resolutely embrace a culture that honors equity, diversity, respect, inclusion and excellence. Our Department strives to celebrate our differences, recognizing that shared voices, experiences and approaches make us better psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, nurses, researchers, administrators, support staff, managers, and human beings.
Our objectives include:
- to advance culturally effective behavioral health care through education and scholarship
- to perform research to improve pediatric behavioral health outcomes and reduced behavioral health disparities
- to recruit, develop, and advance a diverse and inclusive behavioral health workforce
- to support an environment of respect for different viewpoints
David R. DeMaso, MD
Psychiatrist-in-Chief and Leon Eisenberg Chair in Psychiatry
Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences