Student is not logged in or does not have accecss to the course
This newly created 2-year program is designed for early- to mid-career physicians with either A) prior education in business/leadership (e.g. MBA or other Leadership Development Program) or B) prior administrative/management experience who wish to pursue leadership positions in a health care environment. The program is open to physicians across the BCH system and provides education, coaching and mentoring in a broad range of aspects of executive leadership. The program consists of both didactic teaching and interactive discussion on a range of topics facing leadership today. Participants will be challenged to offer solutions and ideas, developing skills suited for the next generation of hospital leaders.
The diverse faculty consists of members of the BCH executive leadership team, hospital leaders across the enterprise, and guest speakers including faculty from the Harvard Business School. Topics include: leadership, strategy, organizational structure and navigation, operations management, financial management and budgeting, human resource management (retention and recruitment), non-clinical missions and funding including philanthropy and research, team-building and negotiation skills, legal considerations and risk-management, communication and marketing, among others.
EPLP Session Schedule
|Session 1: Introduction to the Emerging Physician Leadership Program||November 1, 2022||1 Autumn Street – Auditorium A|
|Session 2: The Structure of Boston Children’s Hospital||December 13, 2022||Karp 1 Boardroom|
|Session 3: Financial Management – Capital Budgeting||January 24, 2023||Karp 1 Boardroom|
|Session 4: Departmental/Division Strategy – Free-Standing Imaging Centers||March 7, 2023||Karp 1 Boardroom|
|Session 5: Managing Physicians||April 25, 2023||Karp 1 Boardroom|
|Session 6: The Great Resignation||May 23, 2023||Karp 1 Boardroom|
|Session 7: Women in Leadership||June 27, 2023||Karp 1 Boardroom|
|Session 8: Innovation and Digital Health at BCH||September 5, 2023||Karp 1 Boardroom|
|Session 9: Marketing and Communications at BCH||October 10, 2023||Karp 1 Boardroom|
|Session 10: Self-awareness and Emotional Intelligence: Understanding Your “Why”||November 14, 2023||Karp 1 Boardroom|
|Session 11: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion||December 19, 2023||Karp 1 Boardroom|
|Session 12: Risk Management||January 23, 2024||Karp 1 Boardroom|
The educational goals of the course are as follows:
- To offer education, coaching, and mentoring in executive leadership for the next generation of leaders through didactic teaching and interactive case presentations, including live cases involving decisions being considered by hospital leadership.
- To advise the Executive Vice President for Health Affairs on opportunities and barriers to the development of mid-career professional medical staff.
- To consider leadership opportunities for active mid-career medical staff across the delivery of medical services at BCH.
- To demonstrate effective leadership skills, including communication techniques and professionalism in interaction with colleagues
- To demonstrate and teach skills that are useful in enlisting and mobilizing a diverse health care team including techniques to build influence.
- To explore diverse perspectives and listen to new or unfamiliar ideas or perspectives while withholding judgment
- To increase empathy, knowledge and awareness about the different backgrounds of individuals within the BCH system.
Course Directors: Sarah Bixby, MD, MBA &William Meehan, MD
Course Consultants: Sharon Silk, MPH & Mathieu Gaulin, CPMSM, CPCS
Course Coordinator: Jay Joynes, CCEP, CHC
EPLP Course Faculty
|Session Title||Session Presenter|
|Introduction to the Emerging Physician Leadership Program||Peter Laussen, MBBS, FANZCA, FCICM|
Paul Hickey, MD
John Mayer, MD
|The Structure of Boston Children’s Hospital||William Meehan, MD|
|Financial Management – Capital Budgeting||Donna Casey|
|Departmental/Division Strategy – Free-standing Imaging Centers||Sarah Bixby, MD, MBA & Richard Robertson, MD|
|The Great Resignation||Dick Argys|
|Marketing & Communications at Boston Children’s Hospital||Roddy Young|
|Women in Leadership||Sandra Fenwick|
|Diversity, Equity & Inclusion||Valerie Ward, MD, MPH|
|Supply Chain Problems in Health Care||Dick Argys & Shannon Manzi, PharmD|
|Managing Conflict and Effective Negotiations||Melissa Brodrick & Jennifer Mahony|