The RITA-T includes nine semi-structured play-based presses that examine constructs that have been described to be delayed in children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). This RITA-T Kit is comprised of 7 items that are used to administer the screening test.
The RITA-T includes nine semi-structured play-based presses that evaluate constructs delayed early, in young children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Each play-based press evaluates 1 or 2 constructs, including: joint attention (JA), visual problem solving (cognition) human agency (HA) that is the precursor for the Theory of Mind, social awareness (SA), communication, and self-awareness. The RITA-T also assesses reactions of the young child to a caregiver’s emotions (Choueiri R, Wagner S. A New Interactive Screening Test for Autism Spectrum Disorder in Toddlers. Journal of Pediatrics. 2015 Aug; 167(2):460-6. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2015.05.029. PMID:26210844).
The RITA-T Kit is comprised of 7 items (all pictured above) that are used to administer the screening test:
- A tote bag with the RITA-T logo that holds all the items
- 6 pictures – 5 pictures of young children from different ethnicities, and one picture of a railroad track (all in black and white)
- A hypoallergenic red marker
- A small handheld plastic mirror with round edges
- A toy phone
- A color changing scarf
- A vase and disappearing red ball